Life: The Soundtrack

Monday, February 28, 2005

Space, Time, and Dimension

Track/Stream: Lustra - Scotty Doesn't Know

I was actually excited to come into work this morning. I don't know what madness came over me. I should have known that the feeling would pass.

I was blissful for about half an hour. Then Carl came by to remind me that I have bugs. Then Mike came by to tell me I have new bugs. I hate bugs. I really really hate bugs. These are especially annoying bugs. Like you start streaming data to the system, bring it down, then bring it back up and some of that data is lost.

It didn't take long to find the cause of most of the problems, but I'm really tired of the attitude of people who tell me to fix them. For some reason they assume that it's easy to do.


Conversation #1

Them:Just don't do this until that is done.
Me: That's all fine and good but what happens if that never gets done
Them: Well, under normal conditions it will get done
Me: We're already talking about boundary conditions that are never likely to occur. If I have to think about your boundaries, you have to think about mine
Them: Well, then just put a timeout on it
Me: How long?
Them: 2 minutes?
Me: It usually takes 3, and if there's network congestion it can take 5
Them: Then make it 10 minutes
Me: So if there's a timeout I won't respond until it times out
Them: Oh no, you can't wait 10 minutes to respond. You have to respond right away. Otherwise it's like their data is going into a black hole
Me: So you want me to let them know right away if the operation is going to time out?
Them: Yes
Me: Ummmmm, I'm going to need a little more time, budget and manpower to bend the rules of space, time, and dimension!!!!


Conversation #2

Them: I'm not getting any response to my data
Me: The service isn't running
Them: So?
Me: I can't respond when my code isn't running
Them: Well, can't you just send back rejections
Me: Not when my code isn't running
Them: This is a serious issue, we can't just not respond to data
Me: Beats his keyboard against his head


I really am beginning to hate my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment