Life: The Soundtrack

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Easter Eggs

Track/Stream: Dido - Here With Me

On my last project I managed to sneak an easter egg in. It's nothing big, but if we receive a message with a specific field set to Kerrek it displays an image on a printout of a small dragon.

Phil just found out about the "feature" this morning. His first question was why I put it in. Carl and I just stared at him. He tried to clarify by asking if it had been because a customer requested the ability to put an image on the printout. Our eyes bug out and we keep staring at him. While he was trying to rephrase his question again I turned to Carl. Carl said maybe he doesn't know what an easter egg is. Phil insisted he knew, but again asked who had asked for the functionality.

I told him to pull up a browser and gave him the Elmer Fudd Google link to type in. I then asked him why Google had that page up. He said "because the programmers were bored?" After that he acted like he understood, but I still don't think so.

I mean, come on. Why did I put an easter egg in? Asking why a bored programmer puts easter eggs in is like asking The Pope why he's catholic, or why the sun sets in the west, or why half of the girls I've made out with have gone lesbian.

There is no "why." It's just a fact of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment