Life: The Soundtrack

Monday, March 21, 2005

Something's Awry

Track/Stream: Loudermilk - Estrogen Oxygen

A new client is supposed to be entering production today. I (being the only developer on the project) of course was not informed. Developers don't really need to know things like that. I mean, heaven forbid we get to do a little bit of time planning in case there are problems.

So I roll in this morning and here's the message I get:

Foocorp is going live today and the system isn't working. Someone from there called Donna [a secretary].

I can't get any more information than that. You might as well call up the police and tell them that someone is going to be murdered, then not be able to give them any information about who, where, when, why or how.

Now I've used my amazing powers of deduction (i.e. scanned the logs) and the only thing that has happened is that someone (and I don't recognize the name, so I have no idea who he is) has been trying to login unsuccessfully. Now, I can tell you exactly what happened:

This jackass decides he knows everything (he must because he's either a trader or a trader's bitch). He tries to log in (unsuccessfully). He doesn't bother reading the message on the screen (which is probably telling him he needs to change his password) and tries to log in again. Still unfazed by the error message, he tries again. And again. And again. And again. Now he won't be able to log in because he's locked out due to too many failures.

This chump tried to log in 5 times over the course of half an hour and was never successful. Did he call the helpdesk (who would ask him what error message he gets)? No, he went bitching to his trader (if he's a clerk) who went bitching to the company about this waste of time who sent some dumb secretary to call our secretary.

Somehow I will be blamed for not fixing this, even though I do not have access to production.

I hate this company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment